Sunday, October 28, 2007

Articles in current issue of Gay & Lesbian Review

I want to talk about the good things in the current issue of the Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide.
 
I hate to start with a negative, but that ad from the Hanns Ebensen travel thing says they had the first organized gay travel and of course ONE, Incorporated did.  In fact when we separated in 1965, Jim Kepner was on the 2nd or 3rd such trip to Europe.
 
I liked the articles on Isherwood, and this is relevant since as we know, things seemed good for homosexuals in Germany, then things went terribly wrong, as Harry Hay pointed out.
 
I liked the thoughts on Lauritsen’s book on Frankenstein, and how we sometimes internalize hate from society. Jesus didn’t mention homosexuality as the article points out, in the next article (from religion to eros). And black men being castrated as one article discusses is like the scene in Brokeback Mountain where the young boy is shown the castrated gay man. Strange fruit indeed.
 
As I said, I liked Percy’s letter and book review. But I didn't like Mississippi Sissy. Nothing like my experience in early Louisiana.
 
And the articles on Japan and China keep us reminded of homosexuals in other countries. And the book on theories of homosexual (Before Stonewall) is interesting. 
 
Anyway, thanks to Richard Schneider for another good issue.

No comments: